1st SAL.....Peg, Dale and I committed to stitching Anni Downs - A Gardener's Journal in March. I blogged about this on my blog thinking maybe one or 2 others may join us and lots of girls indicated an interest so I decided to start this blog where we can all encourage each other to meet the goals set along the way....March 2010 -March 2011...........
2nd SAL ......well so many of the girls wanted to continue on with another project and some new girls joined us and now approx 91 girls are stitching Natalie Bird's Tis the Season. March to Sept 2011...............
3rd SAL....many girls want to stick with the SAL so now we have moved onto Anni Downs Some Kind of Wonderful - My Favourite Things Quilt.......Oct 2011-Oct 2012.........
Where are we now.....
4th SAL 2013...is numerous smaller projects from the previous 2 books Tis the Season and Some Kind of Wonderful plus some projects from Red Home by Natalie Bird approx 60 ladies stitching together.........
2014 we had the year off..............
5th SAL 2015..........inspired to continue we are doing another quilt project.....Anni Downs newest quilt Natures Journey.....
6th SAL 2017.............A Holly Cottage Christmas by Michelle Ridgway.......once again the pattern is in an affordable book so it is easy for everyone to join in...........and you can raid your stash for the fabrics........or lash out and buy a the whole lot........this SAL will be run by Fiona aka Bubz Rugz and Raewyn........
Chookyblue........

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Applique Questions

EDIT: I have added this to the sidebar. 
Elisa asked several questions. Others have answered them.
Some have links so if you read this and have something to add put it in the comments
I have added the link to this post to the sidebar. Chookyblue


Hi everyone,

One of the reasons I wanted to participate in the next round is to finally learn the ins-and-outs of appliqué (I have done it in the past – mainly by machine - but, to me, appliqué is the “A” word!)

I’ve been scouring websites and checked out books.  I know, like embroidery, everyone has their own methods and techniques, but I wanted to survey you over some questions that have arisen.  I’m finding two different sources will say the exact opposite thing!

1.    For needle-turn appliqué, does your thread match your appliqué piece or the background?

2.    Is it true you can’t iron YLI silk thread because it will melt?

3.    Several sites recommend using blue washable marker for turn-under appliqué.  Some say never use it because it does not wash out – it reappears.  Thoughts?

4.    For those doing raw-edge appliqué, is that using fusible and then finishing with a stitch like a buttonhole or satin stitch or top stitch?

5.    For needle-turn appliqué, after appliquéing your piece, do you cut-out the background fabric behind it?

6.    Do any of you use freezer paper?  Do you use the methods where you iron it to the wrong side or the right side?

7.    Do any of you use starches or appliqué glue?  What should we know?

I was assuming if I had these questions, others would also.

Thank you!
Elisa

After quilting for 17 years, I can't run away from applique any longer....

12 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

Hi Elisa, I am looking forward to some of these answers also :o) Here are my responses to some questions (I don't know enough to answer them all!)

1. Thread sould match your appliqued piece
3. The washable marked are subject to heat. If you iron it, it will stay, if you are in a humid climate it can stay, also if you are using it in a room with a heater on it can stay and also if you over wet it, it soaks in more and can reappear. If using it only trace LIGHTLY.
4. Yes (for me) I am going to try Needle turn on this project though.
5. This is purley up to you. If you are going to hand quilt it is recommended so you dont have so many layers to get the needle through.

OTHER:- I am going to try the method with the fusiable web and then using a little clover Iron to turn under the 1/4" allowance. I am hoping that this will work for me as I have four children running around so I need to be able to stop stitching at any given moment and hopefully this will allow better fabric placement....for me.

Hope some of this helps.

Sharon

Fiona said...

Hi Elisa,
I have only learnt needleturn this year and still practicing....
There seems to be lots of different thoughts and I think just try and do what suits you... as long as you get the result you want... these are answers based on how I have been doing it.... but I really don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way...
1. match applique piece
2. don't know - I am using cotton on cotton
3. I don't use marker on my applique but I use it on other things... I find a spray is not always effective but never had a problem when the item is washed
4. that is how I would raw edge...
5. I don't but I would think it is helpful if you are going to hand quilt to stop the bulk
6. I use freezer paper on the wrong side
7. I use both... use a good starch to hold the shape (if you are shaping first) and only need tiny dots of glue
Good luck... Hugz

Lyn said...

Hi Elisa, Like Fiona I think you find a way that works for you and go with it..but here is my bit to add,
1. match applique fabric
2. Haven't used silk, I will be using some Mettler 60 weight cotton reels that I will be hoping match my colours- an Australian tutor used them in a class I took about 10 years ago- so I bought what colours were available here in NZ at the time (they were hard to get here then)
3. I never use blue markers on anything, as I don't trust them..... I have seen others using those silver or white gel pens to mark pattern shapes, or I just use a pencil.. a piece of board with very, very fine sandpaper glued on to it is good for tracing shapes onto fabric as the fabric grips and is less likely to move as you trace
4. Yes that is it
5. I don't cut out the background, there don't appear to be many layers in the applique anyway to worry about
6. I haven't used freezer paper in the stitching of the applique
7. I don't use starches or glue
While you usually use the needle to help guide the fabric under before stitching bit by bit, a toothpick can also be a handy tool to use as well

Maria Harrits said...

I plad to back baste my appliques. Technique tutorial here: http://sentimentalstitches.net/instructions/back-basting-tutorial-for-hand-applique/

Jeanette said...

Hi Elisa, if you go to my blog www.jeanettespatch.blogspot.com i have a tutorial on how i do needleturn. It may not suit you but it will give you some ideas/help

Susan said...

Hi I want to add in my 2 bits worth as well but I am at work so I am just testing to see if I can post from here.

Susan said...

Well that worked so here is what I would like to add.
1. match the applique fabric - and if you ahve to chose between 2 threads - go slightly darker rather than lighter.
2. no idea - sounds likely
3. When I was taught needleturn for my baltimore quilt (a long time UFO) I was taught to trace the shapes using clover chaco tracing paper and to turn the fabric under on the inside of the line so that it was hidden. I think those blue pens could come back, but whatever you use if its turned under then that shouldnt be such an issue.
4. raw edge applique - I understand it as fusible webbing and then free motion quilting around the shapes. This is what Mckenna Ryan uses on her quilts. There is at least one product available that is a fusible web and you do not have to stitch it on as well - it will even go through the wash without lifting. Sorry I have forgotten which one it is but you should be able to find it on the web. Or email me and I will ask at the shop where I saw it. I think buttonhole/satin stitch would be called machine applique - but if you do that remember there are a lot of decorative stitches that can look great and be used to cover the edges (if your machine does that of course).
5. You could, but as Lyn said - in this pattern there is not a big build up of layers, so probably no need. I do think that if its a big area that you cut out (wouldnt happen with this pattern) you sometimes lose the shape of the block.
6. I have used freezer paper and that solves the problem of marking pens not washing out. But you do have to cut it out after. Maybe try the freezer paper to create the shape, iron it, remove the paper and tack around it before sewing if its big or you wont be sewing for a while.
7. A light starch might be good - especially for straight lines - but it might make it a bit too stiff to get a nice soft curve. Again, going back to my baltimore, I used my needle to turn under the fabric and for the tricky curves I dipped the tip of my needle into Fray Check or Fray Stopper and used the glue to help turn under the edges.
Gosh I have gone on and on but one thing I could add is to invest in some small applique pins - they are very short and have a little white head and the thread will not catch as easily as you sew. Have fun - I am using the machine to applique - but will jazz it up using different stitches and variegated threads etc.

Theresa said...

1. I match the thread to the applique

2. I've never used it so I couldn't say. I use Masterpiece thread for my applique - I have a little bobbin tray full of different coloured bobbins of thread.

3. I've never used one - I tend to use the Clover chalk pencils if I need to mark on the fabric.


5. I don't cut out the back unless there are multiple layers of applique on top of each other.

6. I do use freezer paper sometimes. I cut out my shape and iron it to the right side of the fabric. Cut around the fabric and remove the FP. Then I use the FP on the wrong side with the wax side away from the fabric.

7. I only use starch when I'm using the FP method. I have a spray starch which is great but I do water it down a bit. I spray it in the lid, add a little water and apply with a small paintbrush. I use Roxanne's Glue Baste instead of pins - you only need teeny tiny amounts of it.

Good luck with whatever method you decide to use :)

Kris said...

1. I match the thread to the applique.
2. Have used silk and have ironed it, but I don't know for sure?
3. Don't use blue marker for applique. Have used chalk and pencil.
4. Fusible and then a straight stitch for me.
5. No, I don't cut out the fabric.
6. Have used freezer paper, both wrong and right sides. It's not for me.
7. No starch or glue. I do sometimes use a toothpick to help me push it under.

Which pretty much coincides with everyone else I think!

Love Bears All Things said...

I'm having the same questions. I found this tutorial online...I am trying this method.
http://creativityamongstchaos.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-modified-needle-turn-method.html

Sylvia said...

Hi Elisa. You have lots of good answers from the ladies above and I agree with most. I use the silk thread and have ironed it and it seems OK. Sue Daley, the hexagon guru, recommends a fine polyester thread which is good too. I like freezer paper on the wrong side for large shapes and use the traditional method, drawing on the right side and turning under on the line, for small shapes. The glue can help with this. I think you just need to try the methods and practise!

Chookyblue...... said...

I haven't read all this (I will)but as some of the girls have asked bits here and there this seems to have lots of input so may add a link to this post in the sidebar.......thanks girls...........
hopefully others will add to it here......